Apr 3, 2017

Paleo Coconut Flour Pancakes

  Eating the Paleo way plus a yummy recipe! 


    I have been thinking a lot lately about the Paleo diet. It's not super new, but I do like what I am seeing about it. In case you don't know about it yet a Paleo style diet is essentially a high protein low carbohydrate diet. A Paleo plan is a meat/fish and vegetable protein based diet. On a Paleo plan you don't eat dairy, grains, refined or processed foods. I watched a video the other and this guy broke it down to consuming foods from the four kingdoms of life; Plant, animal, bacteria, and fungi. In other words most vegetables/fruit, any meat, fermented foods/probiotic conducive foods, and mushrooms.

Here's the run down...

  • All the Meat you want: Any beef (ground beef, steak), pork (chops, ham), lamb, duck, chicken, turkey, eggs, fish, seafood (clams, scallops, etc). Fresh or frozen.
  • Plenty of Veggies: Any fresh or frozen veggies (except potato, corn, and beans) especially green leafy veggies.
  • Supplement with Nuts/Seeds:Any nuts/seeds (except peanuts), raw/ lightly roasted and unsalted; or any nut butters.
  • Add some other Healthy Fats: Avocados, olive/almond/coconut oil, or flaxseed/grape seed oil
  • Some Fruit: Any whole fresh fruit (no juice), but in moderation (1-2 servings)


Interesting to note here as well is this style of eating is also essential for eliminating health issues such as thyroid conditions, candida over growth, etc.. Although not all meat is for everyone so if you are experiencing a health concern you should consult a good holistic natural healing book such as Healthy Healing for recommendations. Since we all react to foods a different ways it is a good idea to learn all you can and then custom made a plan that is best for you. That is what I am doing.

I have to admit in the past (when I was much younger) I looked down on a low carbohydrate diet. I have done a lot of reading into healthy eating and 100% whole grains played a big part in being healthy and they still do for many people. When I was younger I followed a low fat, high fiber diet allowing 100% whole grains. This way served me well but probably because I had no children, used more energy and exercised more regularly. Now that I am older I sense that my body has been changing and the way I used to lose weight doesn't seem to work for me anymore.

I have been running into health concerns now a days more than in the past and I feel the need to do something before something major occurs. I know from my Healthy Healing book and from other research I have done throughout the years that eating a 75% plant based diet is the key for optimal health. We also know that protein is also an important part in a healthy diet. Both food groups offer the building blocks of health and healing that we need. And we all know that we would lose weight and be much healthier if we cut out cheese, dairy creams/milks, refined sugar, processed flour, filler foods like wheat, soy, and corn. Let this be our reminder :)

The Paleo plan seems to be offering all of this so naturally I have been paying attention. Although I am going to custom make a Paleo style way of eating that fits my needs. I like that Paleo is low card, and high in plant based foods. I also like that it cuts out all of the filler foods or fooler foods that our society seems to be addicted to and is in my opinion one of the biggest reasons we are the fattest nation in the world! What I don't like about Paleo is all of the meat. I am not big on eating meat every day, but I do like fish as well. Also in my Healthy Healing book the author recommends that people with the health concerns that I have been experiencing should avoid red meat.

I also have been looking into ways of incorporating more coconut into my diet. Coconut is a thyroid balancing food and it also has many other medicinal qualities. In my Paleo style plan I will be including quinoa because it is essentially a nut and not a grain, and super healthy for us to eat. I also will allow Greek yogurt and kefir even though it is dairy and ultimately not allowed on a Paleo diet. For milk I will use coconut and almond milks which I believe is fine on Paleo.

Anyway, I will probably be doing more posts about Paleo, health, recipes and my customized plan in subsequent posts. But, for this one I wanted to just do a kinda introduction about Paleo style ways of eating and a site I found with a bunch of healthy recipes like Coconut Flour Pancakes by ditchthewheat.com.

Please comment to let me know what you THINK and don't forget to share this post on Facebook, etc..
.
Thanks in advance. God bless!


 Click for more info



COCONUT FLOUR PANCAKES

Yield: Makes 8-10 – small pancakes
Serving Size: Serves 1-2 people

Ingredients

2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 tbsp raw honey
3 large eggs
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/4 tsp
cream of tartar
1/8 tsp
baking soda
1/8 tsp sea salt
Instructions


  1. Cream together the coconut oil and honey. Add the eggs one at a time.
  2. Add coconut milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
  3. Add coconut flour. Mix until smooth.
  4. Lastly add cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
  5. Do not over mix. Over mixing will result in the baking agents (cream of tartar & baking soda) not working.
  6. Use a ladle and pour small amount of batter into a crepe pan with grass fed ghee/butter etc on medium heat.
  7. Flip once the bottom is light brown. The pancakes will not bubble as much as “regular” pancakes.
  8. Serve immediately with a drizzle of maple syrup.

No comments: