I wanted to do a post about an issue that I have been learning a lot about. Two years ago or so I was tested and my TSH thyroid stimulating hormone was way low but my thyroid hormone was fine so their was no sign of imminent danger. I did what I usually do lol! And I ignored it. I couldn't get over some symptoms that I was having like being sleepy all the time, depression, mood swings, enlarged thyroid, trouble organizing thoughts, anxiety real bad at times, heart beating fast and just going insane lol! I don't know why I am feeling this way or if it has anything to do with the low TSH, as it goes my actual thyroid hormone is normal. While trying to figure all this out I have been doing a lot of research about hyperthyroid or Graves disease especially about how to treat it naturally.
I wanted to post about it because I know that this is something I have seen in my own family and many others and we need to know how to treat it without drugs and anything else that is ailing us for that matter. After reading this you will have a good handle on what to do at least to get started healing your self and getting back to your old self again!
Hyperthyroidism also known as Graves Disease is a autoimmune problem, meaning the immune system is attacking the thyroid and causing it not to function properly. Hyperthyroidism is when the thyroid produces to much hormone, Hypothyroid being when the thyroid produces to little hormone. Your thyroid is a gland in the front of your neck . It controls your metabolism, which is how your body turns food into energy. It also affects your heart, muscles, bones, and cholesterol.
Having too much thyroid hormone can make a lot of things in your body speed up. You may lose weight quickly, have a fast heartbeat, sweat a lot, or feel nervous and moody. Or you may have no symptoms at all. While your doctor is doing a test for another reason, he or she may discover that you have hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism is easily treated. With treatment, you can lead a healthy life. Without treatment, hyperthyroidism can lead to serious heart problems, bone problems, and a dangerous condition called thyroid storm.
Being someone who has read a lot about natural health I new that anything that my body was experiencing was due to what was going into it. Since I was a teenager I have been health conscious but after my first pregnancy a lot of that went out the window and I just ate a lot and stopped exercising. After my first and second child I still was not doing what I knew I should.
I focused on my kids and husband and that is pretty much it although cooking healthy foods is important to me so I try to do that most of the time and always have for the most part. I went back for more blood work and found my TSH still very low! I guess it is time to start doing something about it :)
The Dr said I was a puzzle and he wanted me to do the thyroid uptake scan with radio active medication. I have not done this yet however and canceled the appointment. I don't know about you but taking radio active medication before having an x ray is not something I feel to good about. I will do it if it is absolutely necessary but for now I just don't know about it.
I know that my issues what ever they are, are do to my immune system not functioning at optimal performance and it is do to the things that I have done to my body and not done to it. You may not agree but being a person partial to nature this is just what I believe. According to a report by the U.S. Office of Technology Assessment only 10-20% of standard medical procedures are effective.
When applied natural means far out way the doctors way. There is a reason why many doctors are turning to more natural treatments once again for there patients although they are hindered by pharmaceutical companies, insurance and the government from doing so. Although I understand the need for emergency care and other treatments I prefer a natural method better. In fact in this country we are the best when it comes to emergency trauma care.
One of the reasons for this is simply because many of the treatments that we have were developed in times of war and are best when used quickly for emergency care. The rest of the time we should be following a natural approach and resisting the run to the Dr for every little ailment.
With all of that being said I wanted to share with you about how to treat Graves Disease or Hyperthyroidism naturally. Now I am not saying that it will work for everyone and as always consult your doctor for his medical opinion, he or she may even learn something lol! If you are receiving medical treatments or taking medication don't stop unless your doctor says it is OK, but apply the recommendations outlined here and in the Healthy Healing book. When conditions improve act accordingly.
With any natural treatment no matter what the issue is that you are having following a good natural life style is key to overcoming anything that is not functioning properly in your body. There are many books on natural health that you can buy and you should have at least one good, natural health how to book in your home. The one that I have is called Healthy Healing by Linda Page, N.D., Ph.D.. I will be giving recommendations from this book.
No matter what you are experiencing with your health it is do to your immune system not functioning at optimal performance this is caused by what we have done or not done, plain and simple! In other words the chemicals that we are exposed to, the chemicals that we willingly put into our bodies and all of the wonderful healing foods that we have not eaten, as well as our bad health habits, are the cause of our damaged immune system.
In the book Healthy Healing Linda Page says that for every one year of illness we must apply one month of healing. This is good new and bad news! The good news is that we can turn our health around in just a few short months! The bad news is that it won't happen just by taking a pill or having some procedure. It will take work on my part, on your part to make this happen.We live in a take a pill for every problem society and for the most part this has caused a population that is sicker than ever before! You just can't fix a over toxic system by putting more toxic stuff into it!
So what can we do to combat Hyperthyroidism or Graves Disease and just about anything else naturally? The first step to any healing program is just living a healthier life style by eliminating as many chemicals from your environment as possible, because you are worth it, your family is worth it!
Remember this: If you want to live, eat living foods! There are essentially two kinds of food, living and dead. Anything that you have to kill to eat is a dead food, likewise foods that still contain LIFE is what you want to eat the majority of the time. This is why a vegetarian or vegan diet is one of the healthiest providing that the person is eating lots of fresh foods and not packaged novelty foods from health food stores.
Follow the steps below: Please note that it is quality not quantity of the foods you eat that makes a difference. If you follow the food choices outlined in the steps below and in the Healthy Healing book you will not have to count calories, or read food labels unless you really want to lol! For the most part the food choices outlined here require eating foods that don't have labels :)
1. Avoid all processed foods. This means avoiding fast food, pre packaged foods and anything that lists ingredients that sound like a science experiment! You may have heard this before if you can't even read it you probably don't want it in your body. These foods contain chemicals in them that hinder immune function and don't contain fresh living healing foods in them. 75% of our daily intake should be from living fresh foods.
2. Avoid sugar and sugar containing foods. It is no surprise that Americans are eating way to much sugar and this is contributing the the rise in illness especially in children who's immune systems are still developing. Soda is actually one of the most consumed "food" by Americans including children! Sugar is a immune suppressors, causes a false energy in the body and is the favorite food of cancer and yeast! It is wise to avoid all sugar while undergoing a healing program. You may want to make an exception for raw honey which has healing and nutritional benefits but this also must be kept in moderation. There are also many other natural sweet choices that you can use in moderation.
Going along with the first two steps is step three: Avoiding all artificial foods. You may be thinking, if I can't have sugar I will have some other sugar substitute. Not at all artificial sweeteners like aspartame are in many cases more harmful to your body than real sugar! The FDA has received more complaints about adverse reactions to aspartame then any other food additive! Aspartame major brand names include NutraSweet and Equal. Just because it is not Aspartame does not mean it is safe, you should avoid unnatural sweeteners. It is just not good policy for your body to eat something that had to be created in a laboratory.
3. Avoid white four and white rice. These foods have no nutritional benefits and have had the life stripped from them, they are essentially dead foods and just don't work in a healing program. Much better choices are whole grains like brown rice, wild rice, millet, buckwheat, quinoa, corn meal, oats, etc.. You can find these grains in flour form as well for healthy baking. Learn how to use these grains and you and your family will be healthier for it!
4. Avoid alcohol, caffeine and other drugs. These things just aren't healthy for you and may contain lots of chemicals, and over stimulate the body and can supply the body with more sugar as in alcohol, soda and coffee consumption. Of course in moderation they probably won't hurt much, it is the overuse of these things that are bad. If you smoke, stop. If you are a soda and coffee drinker stop that as well. You can replace coffee with green tea which has healing and detoxification benefits. Use the steps above for further recommendations for these things.
5. Drink purified or distilled water. You must drink lots of water daily. Think about it, you use water to wash your car, clean your house, etc.. Why wouldn't you use water to clean your insides? I am amazed to meet people who don't drink water or only drink tap water! Many Americans get their water from coffee, soda, juice, and energy drinks. We need pure water that is lacking in chemicals like lead, arsenic and fluoride. This is why filtered by reverse osmosis and or distilled water are best, spring water is also fine. In our home we just by water that we trust and don't worry to much about it. But we don't drink tap water!
I think that I have given you something great recommendations to get you started on a healing program for your hyperthyroidism or Graves disease and just about anything else that is ailing you. I am in the same boat as you, I know it is not always easy to choose the healthiest foods, however it does get easier. This is something for the whole family, including your family will make it easier, maybe not at first but like everything it takes time. Chronic illness didn't just pop up out of nowhere it takes a lifetime for these things like hyperthyroidism to develop and it will take time to eliminate them as well.
For more information I suggest that you have in your home the Healthy Healing book which will give you more detailed info then what I can write on this blog. If you want to buy it please use the link contained in this post you will get a good deal, health foods stores sell this book for about $40-50 dollars, you can get this book at any health food store.
I will be doing a part two of this post for an outline of some other things that you can do daily during a healing, cleansing program. I will also do a post about pantry basics. Stay tuned for that!
In the meantime remember that you are worth doing what has been said here and you don't need the "foods" of this modern age. If you just take the time to plan meals, stock your pantry and include your family in meal preparation and health education it can become second nature to you.
I promise it is about loving yourself, changing your mindset, habits and just eating to live, thrive and be healthy, not eating to survive! Many Americans today just eat enough food and drink enough beverage so they don't die right away but this is a slow death and is lacking the quality of life that we all deserve.
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about what you can do for your health and the elimination of your ailments.
To learn more about what foods to eat, as well as some additional recommendations for eliminating hyperthyroidism or graves disease please go to the companion post for this one by clicking the link below.
To your health!
From Joanne Utke
|Healthy Healing 14th Edition|